Q: Where are your bison raised?
A: We are located right between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay in beautiful Shallow Lake ON. Careful don’t blink or you will miss it! #smalltownproud
Q: Why eat BUFF?
A: Thanks to their portability, nutrition and great taste, BUFF is a source of energy for athletes and active people who respect their bodies and the world around them.
Q: Why does the charge display as Alternate Route on my credit card statement?
A: Great question. Rest assured that your order is coming directly from BUFF. Hand packed by Heather herself. Alternate Route is our operating company. When BUFF started our lives were on much different paths and when we look the leap and created BUFF and Big Rock Bison we decided we were taking an “alternate route” and it stuck.
Q: Why are bison products so much more expensive that normal off the shelf meat snacks?
A: The true cost of food is complicated. It has taken us years to truly understand. Let me give you a very quick breakdown. Its easy to look at the package and just see expensive, but if you really break down what’s in it and factor in: that we chose all natural ingredient, and sourced everything from our meat and maple syrup to bags and packaging supplies 100% Canadian it keeps out “footprint” smaller and jobs and industry dollars where we need it - at home! We believe that unhealthy food makes unhealthy people so creating a healthy and delicious alternative will have the opposite effect. When all factors are considered, it becomes clear that, the cost of eating moderate portions of delicious, healthy, sustainable meat is fairly inexpensive. And you are worth it!
Q: Is your farm certified organic?
A: Our meat is as natural as possible. Organic certification is quite expensive and does not add to the value of our meat, it would only raise the retail price significantly. Our bison eat 100% grass, no rations of grain, corn or otherwise. 60% of the time the grass they eat is from our rotating paddocks that are fertilized by the bison themselves and the other 40% they are eating top quality hay produced on or near our farm where we have control over when its harvested to ensure it gets cut to preserve the most nutrients possible.
Q: Is the meat in the BUFF sticks from Big Rock Bison?
A: We wish we could say yes, but at this point we have created a product with a demand that outweighs the supply available. We work closely with the most well established and top notch bison supplier in Alberta to supply the bison used in BUFF as well as an Ontario Beef farm that supplies the beef used. When bison herds in Ontario get to sustainable point where we can use 100% grass fed bison exclusively we will. Until then we seek to use the absolute best ingredients possible to create the nutritional power house that is BUFF.
Q: Can i order your Big Rock Bison online?
A: At this point no. We are happy to sell our BUFF Hi5! sticks and BUFF Rustic Salami along with some other BUFF products here on the website. But shipping frozen meat from the farm here is a huge undertaking that we aren’t quite ready to tackle. So we have hooked up with NIKU Farms - www.nikufarms.com to ship our frozen meat across Ontario.
We also are happy to sell farm direct by appointment – every farm purchase gets a 10min bison tour! And from our select retailers. In Bruce Peninsula and Lake Huron cottage country at Lamblicious in Wiarton, North Sauble Meats and More in Sauble Beach.
Q: If I am following Paleo or Primal diets can I eat bison?
A: Paleo is a diet and lifestyle that uses what humans have eaten for millions of years as a guide. So on top of being delicious bison is most certainly on the Paleo and Primal diets, considering Bison is the original red meat. Our BUFF sticks included. Using all natural ingredients with no fillers makes them a diet conscious snack.
Q: Is Bison “Gamey” tasting?
A: Animal meat is flavored by whatever the animal eats during its life. So wild animals have a more “earthy” taste as they eat what is most natural – wild grasses, and legumes. Our Big Rock Bison are fed only 100% grass. The bison and beef used in our BUFF sticks are from reputable, upstanding farming operations that allow the animals to graze naturally but they may see a grain ration in their lifetime, so we cannot say that they are 100% grass fed – but we are certain that they are raised and harvested in the way which aligns with our farm practices.
Q: How do I cook bison?
A: There are few tips to cooking bison.